IELTS, which stands for International English Language Testing System, is a standardized test that measures English language proficiency across four categories: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. It is one of the most widely accepted English language proficiency exams for higher education and global migration purposes. Continue read for insightful knowledge and tips before take an IELTS certification program. You may want to check their website here.
The IELTS certification exam is administered by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. It provides a reliable and valid assessment of the four language skills in order to verify that a candidate has the required English abilities for academic study or employment in an English-speaking environment.
Why Take the IELTS Certification Exam?
There are several key reasons why people choose to take the IELTS certification exam:
- Higher Education: IELTS is required for admission into universities and colleges in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other countries where English is the primary language of instruction. A high IELTS score verifies that a student has the necessary academic English skills to comprehend lectures, take exams, and complete assignments at an English-medium institution.
- Immigration: For visa or immigration purposes, IELTS serves as evidence of English proficiency for those looking to immigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the UK or other locations. Achieving the required IELTS band score improves chances of obtaining a visa.
- Professional Licensing: Healthcare professionals, such as doctors and nurses, must demonstrate English proficiency by achieving a minimum IELTS score before they can be licensed to practice in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other countries.
- Employment: Employers often require IELTS scores for hiring, recruiting and internal promotion processes, especially in multinational companies. A high IELTS band score helps candidates demonstrate they have the necessary English communication abilities for the workplace.
In summary, the IELTS certification exam serves as an international benchmark for English proficiency. It provides proof of language ability for admission into academic programs, securing visas, attaining professional licensing, and improving employment opportunities. The exam results are recognized by over 10,000 organizations worldwide.
IELTS Exam Format
The IELTS exam assesses all four English language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking. The listening, reading and writing tests are completed on the same day, while the speaking test may be taken up to seven days before or after the other three tests.
The format is as follows:
Listening: Candidates listen to four recorded listening tasks of increasing difficulty, then answer a series of 40 questions. Section types include monologues, conversations, discussions and presentations. Total test time is approximately 30 minutes.
Reading: Candidates read 3 passages of increasing difficulty from books, magazines, journals and other publications. There are 40 questions testing skimming, understanding logical argument, recognizing writers’ opinions and detailed comprehension. Total test time is 60 minutes.
Writing: There are two writing tasks. Task 1 involves writing a report summarizing information from a table, chart, graph or diagram in 150 words. Task 2 is a 250 word opinion essay in response to a point of view, argument or problem. Candidates have 60 minutes to complete both tasks.
Speaking: The 11-14 minute interview is recorded and conducted by a certified IELTS examiner. It is interactive and includes an introduction, a discussion based on prompts, and closing remarks. Speaking is assessed on fluency, coherence, lexical resource, grammatical range, and accuracy.
All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking modules, while there are different Reading and Writing versions depending on whether the candidate takes the Academic or General Training exam.
IELTS Scoring and Results
IELTS uses a 9-band scoring system from 1 (Non User) to 9 (Expert User) to report scores for each of the four skills, as well as an Overall Band Score. Half Band scores such as 6.5 are also possible.
The four individual skill scores and the Overall Band Score are reported in an official Test Report Form within 13 days of the exam. Test centers can also provide an unofficial quick result in 5-7 days. Candidates receive one copy but additional copies can be sent directly to recognizing organizations.
IELTS scores remain valid for two years and there are no restrictions or limits on how many times a candidate can take the test.
Benefits of an IELTS Certificate
There are several advantages to earning an official IELTS band score:
- Improved chances of admission into English universities, colleges, schools – IELTS scores verify candidates have the required level of academic English for admission and study.
- Increased eligibility for immigration to countries like Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the UK – Achieving the right IELTS score improves visa prospects.
- Allows licensing for healthcare and other professionals in countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- Enhances employment opportunities with multinational companies and organizations that require IELTS scores.
- Serves as internationally recognized proof of English proficiency for both professional and personal purposes.
- Results are accepted by over 10,000 organizations across 140 countries.
- Widely available test dates and test centers in over 1,100 locations worldwide.
- Provides detailed feedback on English language proficiency to identify strengths and areas for improvement.
In summary, an official IELTS test certificate confirms that candidates have the necessary English abilities for study, work and migration purposes. It offers a fair and unbiased assessment of English skills that is trusted and accepted globally.
Choosing an IELTS Preparation Course
There are many IELTS preparation options available, both online and in-person. Here are some key tips for choosing the best IELTS certification program:
- Look for courses that provide plenty of practice tests and feedback so you can get comfortable with the exam format and question types.
- Make sure the course covers strategies and techniques for approaching each section – especially time management for the Reading and Writing tests.
- Select a program that helps you build vocabulary, as this is key for the Reading and Writing sections.
- Opt for courses that include one-on-one teaching from qualified IELTS instructors who can identify your weaknesses.
- Consider intensive IELTS bootcamps or short preparation courses if you have limited time to prepare.
- Check if the preparation center has connections with local IELTS test centers for easy test registration.
- Look for courses that offer flexible timings or online sessions if you have a busy schedule.
- Compare costs across different IELTS preparation providers before selecting one.
- Avoid courses that seem too good to be true.
- Read reviews and feedback from previous students to gauge the quality of instruction before signing up.
With thorough preparation from a reputable IELTS certification program, you can feel confident in your abilities to perform well on test day and achieve your desired band score. Investing the time and effort into IELTS prep is well worth it for improving your prospects for higher education, employment and migration.